Friday, June 29, 2012

Last day in Roma!

Friday, June 29th 2012
Today is our last day in Rome and I am both glad and sad to spend it. I loved every minute spent here but I believe I have done as much as could be done for my 4 days here. Today was more of a day where we just decided what we should do so we got the most out of Roma. To me that meant shopping and seeing the last of the sights. If you know me, you know I like to look good. I was Best Dressed 2012 by the way.

First we went to Campo di Fiori for the purchasing of some gifts for friends and family, and a real nice straw fedora for moi. I don't wanna toot my own horn or anything, so I'll have my aunt do it. She said I was getting many-a-look from the ladies with my sweet fedora/Armani shades combo. Unlucky for them this fella is taken.

Then to the Pantheon which took us like 10 minutes. I mean it was cool but you walk in, take a picture of the light coming through the oculus and then leave. Next was the Trevi Fountain which was very nice but sort of just a fountain with a bunch of Italians in it.



After stopping at some churches during the walk to cool down, we arrived at the Spanish Steps. Which are really nice but mostly for the Italians to relax by. Now I fitted in just fine called out Roberto and Giovanni and a couple guys looked and waved to me…but sadly my aunt cannot blend in very well. She speaks pretty good Italian let me tell you, but her look just radiates tourist. Now this isn't meant as an insult to her. I love the girl, she just isn't European. 

After the Steps we went to a small restaurant for lunch. On the way there we past by many stores too wealthy for one Scotia kid. Gucci, Louis Vitton, and Prada are out of this kids price range. But I could maybe model them, doubt it though. One day I vow to go in those stores and buy at least something…probably a belt. The lunch wasn't much to talk about besides I made a few bird friends by giving them some bread. I named them Finchy, Fred and Estabon. Finchy and Fred looked to be a similar breed but Estabon was just too exotic to give him a boring name. In reality they weren't exotic at all I'm just trying to spice up the day.

Next we went to the Borghese Villa and Gardens which gave us a super duper nice view of Rome. The best view I have seen thus far. One problem about Rome is there aren't many good places for one to take pictures of the whole city. This worked pretty well though. We also walked along the gardens for a little til we got too hot and tired. Then instead of walking the hour it would've taken us to get back to the apartment we took a taxi. Best 14 euros spent so far. 

After a respite at the casa we then headed out on the streets to go shopping in our district. Our district had little to no shopping places we liked. We already had a reservation at our restaurant so we walked around by there waiting for dinner where I had better success shopping. I got a couple nice shirts that are very Italian. Aunt Jane says they're girly but I think they are quite sexy.

We then had an amazing dinner with risotto and veal for me and aunt jane had octopus and tuna tartare. We also sat next to a British couple who were on their honeymoon and had a pleasant conversation with them. We then went home with some gelato and packed for our train ride to Venice in the morning.


Aunt Jane's take:


After last night's experiment with me posting before Everett, I think I like this format better: he writes his impressions and then I get to do damage control for the occasional mis-statement or off-color remark.


For the most part, and once again, he pretty much nails our day. We started out in the Campo di Fiori and experienced Italian market shopping.

Yes, Everett is quite the shopper. Not exactly what I expected from a nephew, but the boy is a champ when it comes to "fare la spesa." I did help him out with some negotiating, but he knows what he wants and goes for it.

As for his remarks about me not "blending in," not quite sure what he's referring to. Capri pants and t-shirts are pretty innocuous travel wear and I would say I probably overly blend in. Am I sporting a fanny pack? No. American sports team garb? No. Socks and Birkenstocks? No. You better check yourself before you wreck yourself, buddy. 

Anyway, here's a picture of Everett Zoolander in front of the Pantheon.

After some lunch, we did MORE shopping, and then walked up to the Borghese gardens where we were treated to some great views of Rome.

Nice picture of Everett, the Piazza del Popolo and St. Peter's in the distance. He does cut quite the handsome figure, I must admit.


Now our bags are packed and we are ready for Venice! Hopefully, it will be a little cooler, but I'm sure no matter what the weather brings, we will have a good time.

Until then, Ciao and Buona Notte!






No comments:

Post a Comment