Saturday, June 30, 2012

First night in Venice

For the first time all week we woke up at a reasonable hour and since we had already packed there was nothing for us to do. Didn't have a breakfast though because my aunt bought a pastry a few days ago claiming it was filled with chocolate  It was actually filled with cream and nobody wants to eat 4 day old cream. So no breakfast for this guy.

On our way to the train station we didn't have the best luck finding a cab until we saw one waiting behind a streetcar and hurriedly asked him for a ride and he complied. We had to rush though cause there was another streetcar coming up right behind us.

After that debacle, we drove to the station. It was nice to see the city and our driver was very curious about America. Now, I would love to come up with another story for him like I did for the other driver but I am tired…I may do it anyways I need to wake up before dinner. WELL, his name is Guiseppe and he has been interested with America all his life. He loves everything about it -- the Big Mac and the Whopper, football (not socce,r actual American football). His favorite team is the St. Louis Rams, don't ask me why. He even supports the American soccer team instead of Italy's and I don't know why but we suck besides Landon Donavan of course. This fact he was always made fun of for though, until today when he can brag to his friends he taxied an American model to the train station…me. 

Got on our train and being the nice people we are, reunited a family whose girls were sitting in like a four chair/table combination with us as the other two. Also I feel the father was worried about them. Seeing as I was wearing my fedora/shade combination on the train that I was some scary, handsome Italian who would steal away his daughters. Nope. Taken, buddy. But once he saw past the exterior realized I was a nice guy and even gave me my luggage from the upper compartment. Downloaded a couple movies to watch for the train, them being Safehouse and Jeff, Who LIves at Home. Safehouse's sound didn't work which I was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED OVER. Because I love my man Denzel. He is a true champion of acting. The other movie was really good though. Ed Helms/Jason Segal combo killed it. Actually very deep and inspiring. Bravo!

Got on the vaporetto, which is the equivalent of a water bus, on the Grand Canal of Venice which was very busy and crowded. After that tight-closeness we got off at our stop and I believe Janey has found us a real nice place to stay. The apartment is nice. It's split over two floors, so we each have our own space, which is nice. But mine is very small. The size of the loft at our old one, but with a bathroom. It's decent though I'll just spend all my time up here in Aunt Jane's full-size apartment, with terrace by the way. Got a nice tour from our dude, Ettore. You can tell he isn't fully aware of everything going on but it's a nice place, just wasn't totally ready for us. Very hot! Might take a dip in the canal tomorrow. They say it isn't sanitary but how would they know if nobody goes in it? I'll have to test it out I guess. 


Took a tour of our district, Dorsoduro. Really nice with a lot of cool shops of glass and what not. Also gonna have to make some purchases of some of these silk ties they have here. Absolutely love this city. It is so beautiful I'll give you some nice pictures to hopefully wet your palette if you haven't been here already. 

Dinner was fabulous, had pizza again and I can't freaking believe it but it was just as good if not better than the other one I had. We had it on the Zattere which I'll let Jane go into more detail over cause I'm tired. Had a nice little show from an acrobat/tightrobe walker who was very good. Little show with dinner very nice. The view was absolutely amazing this is by far the most beautiful city in the world. Sorry Scotia but you are now #2. Kidding you're like #62,379,619. Had gelato from the apparently best gelatteria in Venice and I can attest for that. I have also had gelato every night here and I plan on doing that as well for the remainder. Well I'm pooped from my first day in Venezia and am going to sleep.



Ciao! 

Aunt Jane's take:

Venice is just as beautiful in the hot summer as it is in the springtime or fall. I was expecting the lagoon to be a little stinky, but it's not. Maybe they save that for August.

Up and out to catch our train this morning. Everett’s right, it was a little hairy finding a cab. For those of you who’ve traveled with me and know what a freak I am about getting to the station early, you can imagine my anxiety level. But it worked out in the end and we made the train no problem.

Everett already told you about our little seat exchange on the train. We were seated across from two teenage American girls whose parents were sitting in the row behind them. And I have to say, Everett is not exaggerating. Those girls' eyes popped out of their heads and their jaws dropped when Mr. Italian-American GQ in his straw fedora took a seat across from them. Their Dad was not thrilled, but the parents were quickly won over when we offered to switch seats with them. Frankly, it would have been a very annoying ride if we hadn’t. They did us a favor.

Anyway, the heat followed us to Venice, but we’re not letting it get us down. After settling into our new digs, we stopped by Da Gino, an old favorite (Bob and MMM, wish you were with us), so I could have a spritz and Ev could have a pannino.

Refueled, we walked through Dorsoduro and San Polo, popping into a few churches, including one of my favorites, Saint Pants to see the cool trompe l'oeil ceiling. Ultimately wound up at the Rialto bridge. We crossed over and then made our way to Piazza San Marco, and then back across the Accademia bridge and home. A good little loop to (re)orient ourselves with Venezia. 




Ev in silhouette on Piazza San Marco.


 At sunset, the church of San Giorgio Maggiore. Check out the bella luna!

A new career for Everett if this whole college business doesn't work out?

Introduced Everett to gelato at Nico on the Zattere, the waterfront side of Venice facing the Giudecca.  I think we'll be making a return visit there.

It’s oddly not crowded. I don’t know if it’s the heat or what, but other than the Rialto bridge, we didn’t feel like there were hordes of touristi everywhere. 

We are both exhausted and we can’t figure out why. We spent the greater part of the day in an air conditioned train, and did about 1/3 of our usual walking today.




Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring!
 

Ciao and buona notte!



2 comments:

  1. Finally got to catchup! Loving reading about y'alls trip so far Jane, it is good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the Mayor when you were at DaGino?

    ReplyDelete