Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 3: Roma

Day 3: Rome

We thought we'd change things up a bit and Aunt Jane would post first this time and then Everett will post his thoughts on the day's events.

First, we had a bit of a relaxing morning. Jet lag was catching up with us, and we needed a few extra winks. Plus, I had to deal with the laundry.

Most Italian homes have only washers and no dryers (electricity is VERY expensive in Italy). They hang their laundry out to dry. Our flat faces into an interior courtyard, and there is a place to hang your laundry outside of the living room window. Feeling like a proper italian Nonna (minus the all-black outfit, sensible shoes and knee highs), I hung our laundry, praying I didn’t drop someone’s skivvies into the courtyard, six floors below.

Our destination today was back in time to ancient Roma. We walked from our flat, past the Circus Maximus (think NASCAR in the age of Ben Hur) to the Colosseum, which frankly hasn’t changed a whole lot since I first visited in 1986, or in 2004, or 2011.

Given the heat and not wanting to wait in line, we succumbed to the tour guides hawking tours outside the Colosseum. It was Everett’s suggestion and I must say, it was a good one. We skipped the line and were treated to a guided tour that was part stand-up comedy routine part history lesson part bizarre stream-of-consciousness rambling from Roberto, our guide. It was actually pretty good. At least it took our minds off the heat. Pix below.
 





Our tour continued onto Palatine Hill with a new guide, Ian from Scotland. I’ve actually never been to Palatine Hill. Adjacent to the Colosseum and Roman Forum, it was the site of Romulus’s home, the founder, with his brother Remus, of Rome. There’s actually a rather bizarre story involving inter-species relations with a she-wolf and fratricide that is behind the founding of Rome, but I’d rather not get into all that here. Google it or look on Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge) if you want the whole story.

Anyway, Palatine Hill is well worth a visit. Great views and great history. More pix below.


Next stop, the Roman Forum. Also, has not changed much since my first visit. However, NO ONE was there. I think the heat kept them away. I’ve never seen it so deserted. Which was fine by Everett and me. We saw all the great sites -- where Caesar was killed, where he was buried, Caligula’s house, and, of course, the House of the Vestal Virgins. Wow. Talk about a lousy deal those ladies got. Again, if you want to know more, use the Google.




Here's what's left of the Vestal Virgins' house



And the Forum. Notice the hordes of tourists. Not.


At that point, we were not only pooped, but parched. So we found a cafe for a good, but unremarkable lunch.

Refreshed, we resumed our tour with the Capitoline museum. This is a must see if you are interested in ancient Rome. It houses amazing sculpture, as well as some nice paintings. This museum has changed a lot since my first visit 8 years ago. They've done an amazing expansion and update. Really worth a visit.


They also had a great exhibit, Lux in Arcana, secret documents from the Vatican archives. This was really special. We saw the petition sent to the Pope by 81 English nobleman asking that King Henry the VIII’s marriage be annulled (BTW...Henry later had several of those guys executed for treason), documents from Galileo, and other historical figures. It was pretty cool. The only thing missing was the Colonel's secret recipe of herbs and spices that makes his chicken so good.

Pix from the museum below.
 


Aforementioned she-wolf and Romulus and Remus. I think you get the picture.







Back in Trastevere, we met friends of friends for a cocktail, which was really a treat. And then had dinner outside while watching Italia beat Germany. Many restaurants and bars had TVs set up inside and out so that patrons wouldn’t miss a minute of the game. Too much fun!

Now, it’s bedtime. Buona Notte!


Everett's take:

Woke up in the middle of the night around 2 am. Didn't fall asleep til like 4. Then woke up later then I was hoping too, for a to visit Ancient Roma. Luckily the worst part of my day.

Now we visited the Coliseum, the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill which were amazing to say the least. I'm a bit of a history nerd so I know a bunch about gladiators and stuff like that. Always thought I'd be a good gladiator. I've been said to have the Moves like Jagger and I don't know how that would translate into gladiator battling buttt I'm assuming pretty freaking well. Got a tour from a guy named Roberto who was funny but kept making jokes about killing virgins and looking at this one chinese girl, who didn't look like a virgin if you know what I'm sayinnn. Creepy to say the least but he was really funny. Also made a lot of anti-women rights jokes which I did not approve of….PYSCH!






Then we took a tour from a Scottish lad named Ian. He was decent but a lot less anti-women's rights jokes. Did tell a pretty crazy story about how they first populated Rome which was pretty good. Also explained the reasoning behind the symbol of the two babies sucking on the teets of a she-wolf, which I didn't have a problem with cause I mean kids gotta eat right? But my aunt would have none of it claiming beastiality and such. Weirdo.

Also befriended a gay couple today. You know I'm not against it. It is legal in New York now sooo.. Anyway they set us up with a reservation to a good restaurant and good enough seats to watch the Italy-Germany game for the semi-finals of the European cup. That game was gooddd. Mario Balotelli is an absolute tank. His first goal as a header which was sweet and the second was just dirts ma gurts. I knew they were going to the finals. Back off all you haters. Will Quandt. Also had a table next to a bunch of Brits. One of there guys would yell "OH SHIT" anytime something was about to happen so I knew when to look up from my delicious dinner of cod fillet and rigatoni with bacon.

Overall a great day in Roma. My favorite part was definitely the Coliseum which I have been looking around Rome and see why they chose to put an Assassin's Creed game here, for all you fans. It's absolutely perfecto. Anyway off to bed after 6 glasses of wine ;). Caio!

No comments:

Post a Comment