Monday, July 2, 2012

Venice Day 3

Didn't get any sleep -- god damn weird ass birds kept me up along with the heat. Woke up around 2 and I don't remember when I fell asleep…if I even did. Worst part, I was super tired from the night before but couldn't fall asleep…what the hell. It might be the jet lag but it's been a while so I doubt it. Sorry about turning the whole vibe down to angry and aggressive. After all that BS we had a pleasant day with a crap ton of walking. Best medicine for a night without sleep right? Wow sarcasm level off the charts.

Headed to the Guggenheim Collection first where this chick, Peg-a-leg the Guggimiester collected a crap ton of art from Picasso, other artists of the mid-1900s and Jackson Pollack, who I didn't know had a brother. Well I guess theres always an under appreciated, less popular brother..Rico. Anyway Pegs bought this house in Venice from some crazy, party-animal countess. With a fantastic palazzo on the Grand Canal even a stone throne to greet her guests talk about an egomaniac. Guggimiester (actual name Peggy Guggenheim) supported these artists and helped start them towards their fame. And to thank her these artists have given her all their extra art. Literally everything in there could be sold for billions of dollars. Hmm hope all that stuff doesn't get stolen… Little known fact she is buried in the palazzo garden with her 14 dogs. With names like Hong Kong, Sir Herbert, Gypsy, Madame Butterfly and Emily. What a lucky lady!

Next was onto the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, San Rocco church and the Frari church. These were pretty sweet. First one we went to was the Frari church which was very nice had some cool tombs and what not. Also had a really weird and disturbing tomb for one of the past Doge's of Venice which was a few moorish slaves upholding the tomb of the Doge. It was absolutely appalling and disgusting to look at. Not only cause it is politically incorrect and false for the slaves to hold the tomb up (G'ma has taught me well) but the fact skeletons are spread about, making it look like a sorry excuse for a Halloween decoration. The next tomb was cool, though. It was a pyramid and they're always cool.

The Scuola had a terrific ceiling, a Venetian equivalent of the Sistine Chapel. Where I failed to take pictures I apologize but lets hope my aunt has some good ones. We also saw an American group of blonde girls who looked like triplets and a mother. This was our discussion during lunch and they happened to walk by us during said meal. If I had seen them again I would've asked if they were triplets but we didn't -- perhaps tomorrow we will. This chance of triplet sighting is interesting and curious to say the least. 

Next was the Doge's Palace which I was excited for since we got to Venice and such I am a history nerd -- you could see why. I was disappointed. We had a guide, who was this small Italian lady who gave us irrelevant facts and was boring. I wanted our old friend Roberto from the Coliseum. Our new lady had no virgin jokes. Very upsetting. The Palace was good though. Also went across the street to the Campanile di San Marco which was a belltower with an absolute GREAT view of Venice from the top. Got some sweet pics. Haha also the tower bell went off and I got a really funny video of everyone freaking out when it went off. Too good. Don't think I can upload the video but I'll show some others later don't worry.

Next was some refreshment at the apartment with a shower. Little tidbit about that, our apartment man Ettore told us Natalia (imagine the most Italian way to say that name and that's how he said it) would come by the fix the hot water filter for Jane cause she couldn't handle a little cold water. So I was unaware if she already did and I thought I heard our door open and had just taken off my pants and I am still not ready to show everything off to these Italians, I quickly jumped in the shower hoping she wouldn't come inside cause of it. Thought I was safe until I heard some weird snickering outside the window and my imagination got the best of me. Natalia had gone through the apartment and looked through from the garden outside my apartment, and saw me showering…NAKED! False alarm just another weird ass annoying bird. God I might hit one. I have also become extremely annoyed with the pigeons here. I make it my sole purpose at a meal, besides eating of course cause I mean DUH gotta eat, to keep them away and scare/hit them. I don't care PETA. Pigeons are the worst part here and I will try to change that. Well after that debacle we headed out to dinner.

We took the vaporetto, our new fav transportation method over to the Rialto. For a nice seafood dinner at the Trattoria alla Madonna. Spider crab salad or Granseola for antipasto really good and then some spagetti con vongola. Absolutely delicious can't get enough of this seafood. Venice, Bravo! Finished off the dinner with some sweet gelato of course. Now off to bed with some Advil to give this guy some beauty sleep. He needs it! Good bye Everybody.

Aunt Jane's Take:

Seriously? With storytelling like that, what's the point of me posting anything? I'll try to add a little bit of color, but I think mostly I'll post pictures since I took a ton today.  


As usual, the Peggy Guggenheim Collection was great. In addition to seeing the permanent collection, which has a really astonishing number of Picasso's, along with a great Calder mobile (he also designed her headboard -- how cool is that?), a room full of Jackson Pollocks, several paintings by Adolph Gottlieb, Max Ernst and others, they always have an interesting special exhibit, this time Charles Seliger.


We especially loved the garden. Great sculptures by Henry Moore, Giacometti, and others. Plus, Peggy's aforementioned gravesite, and a tree that Yoko Ono planted (?) that you place a piece of paper on with your dearest wish written on it. Kinda cool.






 The Scuola Grande di San Rocco was also fabulous. My first time there -- amazing ceiling covered with Tintoretto's. They have mirrors you can hold to reflect the paintings on the ceiling so you don't break your neck staring up at the beautiful artwork.

I thoroughly enjoyed our tour of the Doge's Palace -- Palazzo Ducale. Our little red-headed Italian guide was very informative. And the trip to the top of the Campanile was fantastic. The views of Venice truly outstanding.

















Dinner at Trattoria alla Madonna was phenomenal. This old school venetian restaurant is a long-time favorite. Semi-surly white-coated waiters bring you the best and freshest seafood. My Granseola (crab salad) was out of this world and grilled sole was spectacular.

I think that's all for now. One day left in Venezia, and then we are on to Umbria....



No comments:

Post a Comment