Wednesday, July 4, 2012

On to Umbria!


The touring Ackermani have left the canals of Venice for the rolling hills of Umbria. Or at least I think that's what it's like here. Don't really know, been here like an hour or so. Morning went fine except when I had first woken up, I was going though Facebook on my laptop to see what happened while I was asleep and check all my notis, when a knock came to the door. I figured it for my Aunt, but it was not. It was Natalia, or so I figured. As soon as she opened the door and saw me lying in bed, she quickly shut the door and, from the sound of it, left the flat. I didn't think I looked that bad.

Anyway we got packed up and left for the vaporetto to bring us to the car rental place. Had to wait a little for our new white Fiat 500 we have dubbed Bianca. After that we were off on the roads of Italy. Didn't go so well.

Jane had brought a Garmin GPS to help us locate the towns we would be visiting. Garmin is a bitch. I apologize to everyone out there offended. I'm sorry, mom. I know you told me to tone down the language, but she was really bad and didn't help us at all. Mamma don't judge me too harshly for it, she deserves it.

We left Venice and started driving on the highway, or whatever they call it here, and there was an accident on the road which closed the highway in the direction we were heading. Well, Garmin kept sending us the same way every time the polizia sent us a different way. We went around in a circle like 3 times in a row. Not kidding you. Garmin just failed us that point, but your boy navigated us through the side-streets and we got back on the highway, after much annoyance and exhaustion. 

Soon after we stopped at the AutoGrill, which Jane said had good food but I was very surprised. American fast-food, here's an example of good, healthy fast-food. Picked out a sandwich, loved it, and ate it in like 2 minutes when I wasn't even that hungry before I got it. They also have everything there. From stuffed toy pigs to wine. From cappuccino to candy. It's amazing. Plus there are so many of them too. We stopped twice but after the first time we had a little more trouble with Garmin…

While I was entranced in my music and book, I figured Jane could handle the rest of the way there. I was wrong she took a wrong turn on a roundabout and had us going the wrong way. Luckily as the navigator I was able to turn us on the right track. After much cursing (on Aunt Jane's part) and guidance from yours truly we were set upon the right path once more.

After settling into the hotel which is very pretty and quaint place. We headed to dinner in a similar type of restaurant. Torgiano, the town we are staying in, is also very pretty and quaint. Hmmm these similarities must be connected somehow… Either way, great dinner of spaghetti with some type of meat, the actual kind is alluding me, and grilled veal with fresh roasted cherry tomatoes which was, as all meals here are, DELISH! Finished off the night with chocolate gelato, of course. Tomorrow we head to Assisi or at least that's how I think you spell it. 




Buona notte!

Aunt Jane's take:

Quite the adventure today. Picked up our little Cinquecento (Fiat 500) in Piazzale Roma in Venice. Need to take some pix of Bianca. She's adorable. And as Everett recounted, it took us an hour to get on the highway. There was an accident and they detoured us, but we soon realized we kept going in a big circle. We kept seeing the same polizia over an over and I swear, I saw one point to another and say "haven't we seen them like three times already?" I feel like I know those polizia now. I may have to send them a Christmas card. 

Everett did save the day and navigated through some backstreets and got us onto the highway. And he's right about that stupid Garmin lady, who we now refer to as Garminia. She's a total beyotch. For example, when you stop for gas or the Autogrill, does she really need to tell you to get back on the highway? Seriously? The Autogrill is great, but does she really think we intend to stay there permanently?

To be fair, I wasn't helping matters. I had Googled the directions to your hotel and they were different than Garminia's route, which made me very confused. The Google suggested we go west at Bologna and then head south, Garminia's route was to head east at Bologna and then go south. I felt like Bugs Bunny and his infamous line "I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque." Lesson learned: either go with the Google or the Garmin, don't mess with both. 

We're here, though, and that's what counts. Dinner was very good. We both had the umbricelli with guanciale. I had grilled veal chops that were fantastic. We've had A LOT of fish, starting in Roma. It's nice to have a little carne again. Everett, especially enjoyed his dinner.

  A few snaps of my view of the pool at our hotel and the sunset in Torgiano.
 BIG day tomorrow. Gotta get back in Bianca and deal with that hateful Garminia.

Ciao and Buona Notte!

No comments:

Post a Comment