Thursday, July 5, 2012

Saint Francis and Foosball (bet you never thought you'd see those words together)

Today was the first morning I didn't wake up to me sweating. Hallelujah! The A/C in my room is amazing, I don't know how you old timers dealt with life before A/C. Luckily I don't have to. Also had a great view of Umbria from my hotel room window. Pic underneath. 

Headed out to Assisi today, or to "Ass Icy" and "A Sissy," which is how Garmin pronounces it. Unfortunately she has not improved. Either has the Italian drivers we have passed. I have learned many new curses from my Aunt during this trip. All in the past two days. Luckily my ears aren't virgins to such words. If you've ever been to an Ackerman Steelers game you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, we got there in about half an hour. The view was too tremendous to put into words so I'd rather just show you the pictures and let you respond to them. Went to about 4 churches all in this small hill town. All of the churches were beautiful, including the final one we saw, which was the Basilica of San Francesco. Absolute beauty. Of course, those strict Christians (no offense intended) won't let me take any pictures, but I'm sneaky ;)
















I don't remember the first church but we went to (Aunt Jane's note: it was San Rufino), but the crypt underneath it was really cool. They have a lot of stuff down there. I didn't think they would have that much. 

After that we headed to St. Clare's, which was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Very respectful people there, don't think I've heard a church that quite the whole time here. A lot of pilgrims, too, guess she was a big hit with them. Not a religious man myself, but I respect it, and they build some really beautiful places so I don't mind them.

Next was the really small church of St. Stefano, I believe it was called. It was quaint and beautiful in the old medieval way. Next was some lunch, which was the best one so far. Had thicker spaghetti, whatever that pasta is called (Aunt Jane's note: pappardelle), with boar meat and sauce then some lamb chops. So good I can't explain it. I'm sorry it was mouthwatering to look at and smell. I was full after the pasta and then had a large plate of lamb. Almost ate it all but couldn't finish it. 

We then finished our tour of the churches with Saint Francis' tomb and the church built around it. Better then all other churches I've visited in my entire life. Words can't describe how well the frescoes depicted Francis' life and the religious aspect. Not only a beautiful cathedral but everything else. I'm sorry it's hard to explain but was amazing. Just look at the pictures to see.

After that, we saw where Jane had stayed for a month but I'll let her tell that. We went in the pool when we got back which was very refreshing. Then to dinner at a pizzeria, but on the way we saw an actual human foosball game. Yeah I know what're you're thinking and I was wondering how it was possible til I saw an actual game. I was so jealous I couldn't join them, definitely gonna take Italian classes now. Check out the picture for how it looked. Well I'm very tired so I'm out. Ciao Ciao!



Aunt Jane's Take:

First morning in Umbria was lovely. Sunny, nice breeze blowing. A giant doppio espresso (I think it may have been a triplo). Ahh...

We had a quick tour around Torgiano. It’s a cute little town on Umbria’s strada del vini (road of wines). They have a wine museum (wasn’t open yet) and we checked out the restaurants in anticipation of tonight's meal.


Most unusual, we came across what I first dismissed as some kind of construction site, but eagle eye Everett quickly discerned was a life-size foosball “table” (see pix). It looked like an official schedule of games was posted, but we couldn’t tell what the actual date of play would be. Still, this was something we both marveled at.



Bianca, our Cinquecento, was calling us, so we headed off to Assisi to pay a visit to Saint Francis. Along the way, as Everett has alluded to, we discovered a possible cause for our troubles with Garminia. Her Italian is appalling.

She pronounces “Firenze” “Fi-Renz” and, as Everett told you, her “Assisi” sounds like a cross between “Ass Icy” and “A Sissy.” No wonder we were confused! And we are convinced that when she doesn’t know how to pronounce the words, like “Piazza Giacomo Matteotti,” she just says “cabbage cabbage cabbage.”

Assisi is a pretty town, dominated, of course, by the Basilica di San Francesco, but also has great views of Umbria and some pretty stone houses.


First stop in Assisi was, as Everett told you, the church of San Rufino. He’s actually the patron saint of Assisi, not San Francesco! A little known fact that we learned from our best friend, Rick Steves (Rico Stefani).

Really enjoyed the church and its crypt (really into crypts this trip, especially on hot days). Some great frescoes (see pix below). Disclaimer: did not use a flash to take these pix, so no frescoes were harmed during the making of these pictures.

There is also a Botero exhibit right now in Assisi. Didn’t have time to see it, but one of his horse statues was on display in the main square.

 Below is the interior of the Church of San Stefano (no relation to Rico Stefani).
The Basilica di San Francesco is still one of the most, if not the most, beautiful churches I’ve ever been to. The frescoes are absolutely breathtaking. The story of Saint Francis is one I think anyone can appreciate. He was an environmentalist, a lover of animals, and advocated for simplicity, peace and harmony in all things. Really a very special place.

We enjoyed more great views, and then headed back to Bianca for a quick tour of the towns near where I stayed during my sabbatical in 2004.

Here's a picture of our Bianca. Isn't she the cutest? I wonder if she'll fit in my carry on.

Once we returned to the hotel, we thoroughly enjoyed a swim in the pool. We had it all to ourselves, which was nice. 

On our walk to dinner, we noticed teams getting ready to play on the foosball court! Hooray! They were still at it when we returned after dinner. We met a very nice Canadian couple from Toronto and we watched the game together. The pictures don’t even do it justice. You really have to see this live. I took a short movie of the action. I’ll see if I can figure out how to upload it.
 


 The entire town turned out to watch. The match we watched pitted a group of young men against a group of women of all ages. Everyone was really into it. And we thought Italy v. Spain was exciting!



Tomorrow is our last day in Italy. It’s gone so fast!

Ciao and buona notte!!







2 comments:

  1. NOOOOOOOOO you can't come back, you have to stay and keep bloggin! Maybe you can get enough paid subscribers that you can cover food, gas, lodging. YOu guys are smart, figure it out! We want more blog!

    ReplyDelete